GCG has extensive expertise in characterising the ground and groundwater conditions at sites. Services we provide include the of planning, specification, management , supervision, and interpretation of the results of site investigations. Over the years we have introduced or promoted several new techniques including:
- Thin-wall sampling and rotary coring of stiff and hard clays
- Local strain and pore pressure measurements in commercial laboratories
- Laval and Sherbrooke sampling systems in soft clay
- Suction probe measurements on stiff clay samples
- Use of bender elements in triaxial tests to measure small-strain stiffness
We also carry out investigations of failures; previous projects include the investigation of dams, slopes, foundations and tunnels, and high-profile examples include the Heathrow Express tunnel collapse and Carsington Dam.